THE NEXT RECYCLING DAY IS: May 4th, 2019
Recycling your personal waste material keeps it out of our rapidly filling landfills, gives it a new life as another product, lessens our need to keep finding and mining new raw materials and may help you to think about your own purchasing and consuming choices. All that with just a little bit of extra effort?
Give it a try! See when, where and how listed below -
When? - First (1st) calendar Saturday of each Month from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Where? - Hopewell Township Building, 415 Three Square Hollow Road, Newburg, PA 17240 (Hopewell Township Building Mapquest Map)
Contact? - Hopewell Township 717-423-6582 or [email protected]
What can I bring?
* YES - Newspapers & Inserts, Magazines & Catalogs
* YES - Office paper (any color)
* YES - Corrugated Cardboard boxes (cardboard with the wavy center when torn)
* YES - Cereal, Soda, Tissue Boxes and other Paperboard packaging that tears brown or grey
* YES - Paper Towel and Toilet Paper cores
* YES - Paper Bags & Phone Books
* YES - Aluminum Beverage Cans (beer, soda, etc.)
* YES - Metal Food and Beverage Cans and their Lids (tin/steel cans)
* YES - Glass Bottles and Jars (food and drink only ? Clear, Green, Brown or Yellow)
* YES - Plastic Bottles and Containers (Soda, Water, Milk, Juice, Liquor, Shampoo, Detergent, Condiments, Salad dressings, etc.)
* YES - Plastic Bottle Lids - YEP, WE CAN NOW TAKE THESE AND VIRTUALLY ANYTHING MADE OF HARD (no bags or film) PLASTIC. NO NEED TO REMOVE LIDS OR CAPS FROM CONTAINERS.
* YES - "Asceptic" containers - waxy cartons like those that typically hold milk or juice.
***All of the categories/items listed above can be mixed together in the same container ("co-mingled"). Please make sure the recycleables have been cleaned of the original material (food, shampoo, oil, etc.) ***
We can also take the following, but please keep each category separate:
STYROFOAM - Packaging, coolers egg cartons, etc., usually with a #6 symbol. Please remove any labels and/or tape. No "soft" foam or packing peanuts.
COMPUTER - Computers and computer parts, including printers, keyboards/mice and wiring, but EXCLUDING monitors.
EYEGLASSES - Any used prescription or reading glasses.
CELL PHONES / SMALL ELECTRONICS - Any used cell phones, PDAs, pagers, Ipods, etc. These will be included with the batteries, so NO LARGE ELECTRONICS..
SCRAP METAL - Any items or appliances that are mostly made of metal of any sort EXCLUDING refrigerators, A/C units or anything with Freon.
LEAD ACID BATTERIES - Lead-acid types (car, motorcycle, lawn mower, most UPS power backup, etc.)
NOW TAKING DRY CELL BATTERIES - Any regular dry cell, Alkaline, NiCad, NiMh or Lithium Ion. Includes AA, AAA, C, D, 9 volt, button or lantern single cells, and battery packs such as from cell phone, laptop, power tools, etc. Please tape the terminals of the square 9 volt cells. NO LEAKING or HEAVILY CORRODED batteries, please.
NOW TAKING COMPUTER and AUDIO MEDIA - Any CD, CDR, CD-RW, DVD, Blu-Ray, 3.5" floppy, 5.25" floppy, ZIP or JAZZ disks and cases. ALSO, any AUDIO (cassette, 8-track, etc.) or VIDEO (VHS, etc.) TAPES.
THINGS WE CAN'T TAKE -
NEW - January 2019 : RECYCLE your Agricultural Plastic! To find out what on your Farm or Greenhouse can be RECYCLED instead of DISPOSED, contact Justin at (717) 658-9660 or see the website at: http://www.agplasticsolutions.com To listen to a very informative discussion on Plastic Recycling in PA, featuring Ron TheBagMan (http://www.ronthebagman.com), click here: http://www.witf.org/smart-talk/2019/01/is-there-a-clean-solution-to-plastic-waste.php
For information on recycling specific materials that we don't take, please go to the Links tab on this site and see the "RECYCLE IT" section.
Cumberland County has some excellent information and programs related to recycling of all forms, including ELECTRONICS recycling. See their website (link below), type 'Recycling' into the search bar, and click the 'GO!' button to see up-to-date info and offerings: https://www.ccpa.net
Here are some GENERAL ideas - check with the individual retailer to see what they will take.
Flourescent Light Bulbs - Home Improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes)
Power Tool Battery Packs - Home Improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes)
Plastic Shopping Bags - Many grocery stores
Used Motor Oil/Anti-freeze/Brake Fluid - Many auto parts stores (Advance, Autozone)
SUGGESTIONS? Please contact us and let us know...
Click to add text, images, and other content